Before you Go
It is also important to plan for road work that will be taking place on Highway 5 around the airport starting in April through October of 2020. MnDOT has the latest information on the quickest detours.
Getting to the Airport
Before heading to the airport, make sure to know which terminal your flight is departing from. Plan to arrive at the airport two hours before a domestic flight and three hours before an international flight. The dropdowns to the right will give you tips for your selected mode of transportation.
Metro Transit busses and the light rail are running on a reduced schedule and have suspended services between 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. Check schedules to plan your ride.
Some have suspended service while others have reduced their schedules. A summary is below, current as of 3-25-20. You're urged to contact your carrier for updates before riding.
Groome: All service suspended. (St. Cloud, Duluth, Eau Claire, La Crosse, Rochester)
Landline: Operating as scheduled until 4-1-20. On that date service will be reduced by at least one round-trip daily to each destination from MSP. (Duluth and Mankato)
Rochester Shuttle Service: Operating, but limiting schedule on a day-to-day basis. (Rochester)
Land to Air Express: All service operating. (Mankato, St. Peter)
NWT Express Shuttle: All service suspended. (Wisconsin)
Our website has real-time security wait times and additional information.
The TSA has changed some things to make it easier for passengers to travel safely:
- Markings on the floor measuring six feet apart make social distancing a snap.
- Travelers can bring up to 12 oz. of hand sanitizer through the security checkpoints.
- Passengers can wear masks during the screening process – though you may have to adjust your mask to confirm your identity.
- The TSA is disinfecting touchpoints continuously and all frontline employees will be wearing gloves. You may always ask your agent to put on fresh gloves before a search of your belongings.
You’ll notice that a lot of the airport amenities are closed, but we are working hard to make sure you can still find what you need. Use the dropdowns at the right see what's available.
If you want to grab a bite, there are options in the Airport Mall and a handful of offerings in Concourses C, D, E, F & G. To make things easier, you can order food to be delivered wherever you are by downloading the AtYourGate App. We also have digital signage throughout the terminal that we’re keeping updated with current offerings.
Vending machines continue to be stocked, as well. You can find those throughout the terminal.
Travel essentials are available at:
- Hudson (Airport Mall)
- North Loop (Airport Mall)
- JetSet News (by Gate F2)
- Explore Afar (by Gate C12)
There are also a variety of unique vending machines located throughout the terminal – Kylie Cosmetics, Dollar Shave Club, Best Buy, Benefit, Minnesota Lottery – for your enjoyment.
The Armed Forces Service Center, Children’s Play Areas, and See 18 Screening Room are all closed. If you want some hands-off entertainment – check out one of our incredible art installations or exhibits.
The InterContinental Hotel remains open, and while some services have been temporarily suspended, they and are ready to serve MSP passengers.
Don’t forget to wash your hands in our award-winning restrooms! Take an extra minute to enjoy the mosaic work and the drains in the sink (pssst – they’re shaped like planes). If you’re in a hurry, we’ve added 50 additional hand-sanitizer dispensers throughout the terminals.
Missing our volunteers? So are we! Here are the options for getting the information you need:
- Contact our Customer Communications office at 612-726-5555 or pick up an airport assistance phone located throughout both terminals. Live agents are ready to serve you, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Pre-security, an information desk on Level T at Terminal 1 is also staffed seven days a week, 6 a.m. – midnight.
- Digital directories at both terminals are also a good option for retrieving information
- Printed materials are also available at the directory kiosks