You have the right to apply for financial help for losses resulting from a violent crime. This assistance does not cover property losses. For an application and information, call 651-201-7310.

If you feel your rights as a victim have been violated, call the Crime Victims Ombudsman’s Office at 651-201-7310. Outside the Twin Cities area, call 1-800-247-0390; TDD: 1-651-282-6555. You have the right to request that the law enforcement agency withhold public access to data revealing your identity. The law enforcement agency will decide if this is possible. You have the right, if an offender is charged, to be informed of and participate in the prosecution process, including the right to request restitution (money court-ordered from the offender and paid to the victim).

IF YOU ARE THE VICTIM OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, the city or county attorney may file a criminal complaint. You have the right to be notified if prosecution is declined or criminal charges dismissed. You have the right to go to court and request an Order for Protection. The order could include the following:

  • Restrain the abuser from further abuse.
  • Direct the abuser to leave your household.
  • Prevent the abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment.
  • Award custody of or visitation with your minor children.
  • Direct the abuser to pay support to you and the children if the abuser has a legal obligation to do so.

Additional Contact Resources

Cornerstone 952-884-0330
Assistance for Sexual Assault Victims 612-871-5111
United Way 211 651-291-0211
Financial Assistance for Crime Victims 651-201-7310
Hennepin County Attorney (Victim’s Assistance) 612-348-4003
Hennepin County Jail (Offender Release) 612-348-5112
Crime Victims’ Assistance 612-340-5400
Women’s Advocates Shelter 651-227-8284
Casa de Esperanza (Shelter for Hispanics) 651-772-1611
Eagle Nest Shelter / Women’s Nation 651-222-5836
Statewide Referral Services 1-800-247-0390
Minnesota Crime Victims Reparations Board