If you love to help people and want to make a difference, this is your chance to take a non-traditional pathway to an exciting new career in law enforcement with one of the largest police departments in the state - the MSP Airport Police Department!
The Pathways to Policing Program requires no prior law enforcement experience and is designed to bring non-traditional candidates into the field of law enforcement by removing barriers for those who wish to enter the career. Candidates with cultural competency skills and tools, those with experience living or working with culturally diverse populations, and those with a passion to serve are encouraged to apply.
- Earn pay and benefits while attending a full-time professional peace officer education program in Brooklyn Park, MN.
- Must have a two- or four-year regionally-accredited college degree in any field of study, but no prior law enforcement training or experience is required.
- Must be a U.S. citizen with a valid driver's license and no felony convictions.
- The program specifically seeks those with the ability to fluently speak and proficiently read and write a second language, in addition to English, and/or who have experience living or working with culturally diverse populations.
- Upon completion of the education program (approximately 22 weeks), trainees must attain POST licensure before transitioning to a full time sworn police officer position with the Airport Police Department.
How the Program Works
Successful applicants will be hired as police trainees. This is a full-time position with a starting wage of $25.00 per hour, plus insurance and pension benefits. As a police trainee, individuals will attend 40 hours a week of college coursework and training at Hennepin Technical College in Brooklyn Park, MN, for approximately 22 weeks and then take the licensing exam for police officers. All course fees and equipment are provided and paid for by the Metropolitan Airports Commission.
Upon graduation and successful completion of the licensing exam, trainees will be promoted to probationary sworn police officers and begin their career in law enforcement just like any other new officer.
After interviews, background checks, and various pre-employment evaluations, successful selected candidates will be given a job offer and enrolled in the Pathways to Policing Program.
- May, 2023: Interviews
- May/June, 2023: Background investigations for top candidates
- July, 2022: Conditional offers, physicals, and psychological exams
- August, 2022: Candidates hired (8/7/23) and classes begin at Hennepin Tech (8/14/23)
To apply: click the “Apply” tab located just above the position description, log-in and follow the instructions provided. An incomplete application may affect your opportunities in this hiring process.
Questions regarding this position or the process can be directed to Robin.Layer@mspmac.org or 612-713-8725. Applications will be accepted until 3:00 pm on Monday, May 1, 2023.
MAC complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If an accommodation is required for you to participate in the application process because of a disability or you have questions regarding the application process, contact the Diversity Department at 612-726-8196 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
MAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, nationality, or disability.
- No previous police experience is required.
- Must have a two-year (Associates) or four-year (Bachelor's) degree from a regionally accredited institution in any discipline as of August 1, 2023.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must possess a valid driver's license, or ability to obtain one prior to hire.
- Must have no felony convictions.
- Must NOT have completed a MN Skills program or taken the MN POST or reciprocity exam.