The MEA school holiday arrives next week in Minnesota, marking one of the most popular times of the year for air travel at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP).
Next Wednesday and Thursday — Oct. 18 and 19 — are expected to mark the peak outbound travel days of the week. MSP Airport staff will be on the ticketing levels at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, and near the TSA security checkpoints, to help passengers navigate their way to their flights. The airlines and the TSA are also prepared for additional passengers.
Passengers are still advised to arrive at the airport two hours ahead of a domestic flight, and three hours ahead for international travel. As always, stay in touch with your airline and check for any changes to your flight before coming to the airport.
- Parking will be in high demand over MEA. You can Prebook your parking now to guarantee your spot and receive a discounted parking rate.
- If you’re picking up passengers, remember to use our cell phone waiting lot to stage your pick-up. Also, remember that you can use either roadway level at Terminal 1 for drop-offs and pick-ups. If one roadway level is congested, use the other level, and coordinate the new location with your passenger by phone.
- Once inside either terminal, look for kiosks operated by your airline to print out bag tags for checked bags. Airline staff can help direct you.
- As you move toward the security checkpoint lines, the TSA has some tips for families traveling with children. Another TSA webpage provides additional guidance for an efficient security checkpoint experience.
- After you’ve cleared security, MSP has ramped up entertaining options that aim to surprise and delight. On Thursday, Oct. 19, balloon artists and face painters will be on Terminal 1’s mall from 1-4 p.m. Stop by for photo opportunities!
- Also on Thursday, Oct. 19, Arts@MSP will host a special performance in the Airport Mall Gallery from 2-4 p.m. A trio, David Billingsley & Friends, will perform fun and uplifting family-friendly music. Passengers will also encounter Arts@MSP’s weekly music series, running throughout the MEA period, with 25 live music performances scheduled between Oct. 14 and 22.
Have you ever met Paul Bunyan? Now's your chance. On Thursday, Oct. 19, Paul will be in Terminal 1's North Rotunda area -- just inside the north security checkpoint -- from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. Later that day, he'll be at Terminal 2, across from Barrio, from noon to 3 p.m. He is hosted by the Airport Foundation MSP.
- As you look at the dining options at MSP, consider using MSP Order Now if you’re in a rush to get to the gate. For those traveling out of Terminal 2, visit this page to find more links to all your favorite restaurants and their order-ahead apps.
We look forward to seeing you at MSP for MEA!