Use these tips to travel with confidence through the TSA checkpoint:
- Pack items you will need to remove during screening, such as snacks, in smaller bags.
- Leverage electronic boarding passes and electronic passports to minimize contact and expedite your journey.
- Travelers can bring up to 12 oz. of hand sanitizer through the security checkpoints. You will also find hand sanitizer stations available throughout the terminals.
- Passengers can wear facemasks during the screening process - though you may have to adjust your mask to confirm your identity.
- Terminal 2 passengers are encouraged to take advantage of a new pilot program in the summer of 2023 that allows you to reserve a time in the security line - for free! MSP RESERVE puts passengers in control of their airport journey while providing the same high standard of security as all TSA lanes.
Airport Arrival Time
Please arrive at MSP two hours before domestic flights and three hours prior to international travel. This allows for enough time to check your bags, be screened and arrive at your gate.
REAL ID Compliance
Minnesota air travelers must obtain a "REAL ID" Minnesota driver's license or identification (ID) card if they want to use one to board a commercial flight in the U.S. after May 7, 2025.
A REAL ID office is now open at MSP Airport's Terminal 1, allowing passengers to apply for the new ID. You will need an appointment. Full information is available here.
The REAL ID office is located pre-security at Terminal 1 on the mezzanine of the Green Parking Ramp. The office is easily accessed by parking in the Green or Gold ramps and taking the elevator to the Skyway Level (Floor 3) or by taking the skyway from the Ticketing area.
More information about REAL ID can be found on the Minnesota Department of Public Safety's website.
Note: a valid U.S. passport, military ID or enhanced ID will continue to be accepted for air travel after the deadline, regardless of whether an individual has a REAL ID.
Terminal 1 has TSA-operated security checkpoints in the following locations.
- The North and South checkpoints are located on the Ticketing level and can be used by all passengers.
- The Skyway Security Checkpoint on the Concourse C/G connector bridge is temporarily closed along with the associated KCM entrance. The automated exit is open at that location; 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Checkpoint #7, located on Concourse G, is for international connecting travelers only.
- The checkpoint that served the InterContinental Hotel MSP Airport is closed for the foreseeable future as of April 1, 2020. A hotel shuttle will bring guests to the terminal; inquire at the front desk.
At Terminal 2, two security checkpoints are located on Level 2.
- Near the Orange and Purple Parking Ramp skyways.
- Checkpoint 1 is open from 4:00 a.m. until the last scheduled departure. Checkpoint 2 is generally only used for peak travel periods.
View a map of MSP's campus. Use your computer mouse to zoom in.
Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Though intended for frequent international travelers, there is no minimum number of trips necessary to qualify for the program.
Global Entry is available at both terminals. At Terminal 1, the Global Entry interview area is near baggage carousel #11 on the baggage claim level.
For more information:
During TSA security checks, PreCheck passengers may usually leave their shoes on, keep 3-1-1 compliant liquids, gels and aerosols in carry-on bags, leave laptops in their bag, leave their belt on and continue to wear light outerwear.
Travelers enrolled in or who are eligible for TSA PreCheck screening should look for PreCheck lanes at open checkpoints.
For more information and to enroll, visit the TSA website.
CLEAR offers expedited access to airport security processing through biometric technology, using fingerprints or irises to identify travelers. Kiosks are available at both the North and South checkpoints in Terminal 1. Visit clearme.com for more information on becoming a member.
MSP passengers flying out of Terminal 2 in the summer of 2023 may reserve a time at the TSA Security Checkpoint screening area through a new pilot program called MSP RESERVE. Participation in the MSP RESERVE program is optional and free for all Terminal 2 passengers. The service puts passengers in control of their airport journey while providing the same high standard of security as all TSA lanes - all without a paid membership!
Customs and Border Protection
As of February 1, 2000 only the Customs and Border Protection Mobile Passport Control app can be used for entry into the United States. Any other apps previously used for that purpose will no longer work.
All checked baggage must be claimed in this facility regardless of your final destination.
The Customs and Border Protection Mobile Passport Control app can be downloaded from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store here.