Use these tips to Travel Confidently through the TSA checkpoint:
- Markings on the floor measuring six feet apart make social distancing a snap.
- Travelers can bring up to 12 oz. of hand sanitizer through the security checkpoints.
- Passengers can wear masks during the screening process – though you may have to adjust your mask to confirm your identity.
- The TSA is disinfecting touchpoints and bins continuously and all frontline employees will be wearing gloves. You may always ask your agent to put on fresh gloves before a search of your belongings.
- Pack items you will need to remove during screening, such as snacks, in smaller bags.
- Travelers will be scanning their own boarding passes and identification to minimize contact. Make things even easier by utilizing electronic boarding passes and electronic passports.
- Don't forget, while lines may appear longer due to social distancing, what you are seeing is not a long line, it is a safe line!
Airport Arrival Time
Please arrive at MSP two hours before domestic flights and three hours prior to international travel. This allows for enough time to check your bags, be screened and arrive at your gate.
REAL ID Compliance
Minnesota air travelers must obtain a "REAL ID" Minnesota driver's license or identification (ID) card if they want to use one to board a commercial flight in the U.S. after Oct. 1, 2021.
More information about REAL ID can be found on the Minnesota Department of Public Safety's website.
Note: a valid U.S. passport, military ID or enhanced ID will continue to be accepted for air travel after the Oct. 1 deadline, regardless of whether an individual has a REAL ID.
Terminal 1 has TSA-operated security checkpoints in the following locations.
- The North and South checkpoints are located on the Ticketing level and can be used by all passengers.
- The Skyway Security Checkpoint #10, located on the C/G connector bridge, is closed for the foreseeable future as of April 3, 2020.
- Checkpoint #7, located on Concourse G, is for international connecting travelers only.
- The checkpoint that served the InterContinental Hotel MSP Airport is closed for the foreseeable future as of April 1, 2020. A hotel shuttle will bring guests to the terminal; inquire at the front desk.
At Terminal 2, two security checkpoints are located on Level 2.
- Near the Orange and Purple Parking Ramp skyways.
- Checkpoint 1 will be open between 3:30 a.m. and 10 p.m. Checkpoint 2 is generally only used for peak travel periods.
View a map of MSP's campus. Use your computer mouse to zoom in.
Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Though intended for frequent international travelers, there is no minimum number of trips necessary to qualify for the program.
Global Entry is available at both terminals.
For more information:
During TSA security checks, PreCheck passengers may usually leave their shoes on, keep 3-1-1 compliant liquids, gels and aerosols in carry-on bags, leave laptops in their bag, leave their belt on and continue to wear light outerwear.
Travelers enrolled in or who are eligible for TSA PreCheck screening should look for PreCheck lanes at open checkpoints.
For more information and to enroll, visit the TSA website.
CLEAR offers expedited access to airport security processing through biometric technology, using fingerprints or irises to identify travelers. Kiosks are available at both the North and South checkpoints in Terminal 1. Visit clearme.com for more information on becoming a member.