MSP Airport Long-Term Comprehensive Plan – a 20-year look ahead
The MSP Airport 2040 Long-Term Comprehensive Plan (Plan) is a forward-looking planning tool that studies facility and infrastructure needs based on projected 20-year passenger and operations numbers.
The planning process will evaluate when facility improvements are needed to accommodate projected demand in a manner that is safe, efficient, orderly and cost-effective and that maintains and enhances customer service.
The Plan does not authorize construction or improvements to facilities. Nor does it serve as the basis for determining eligibility for noise mitigation programs. Rather, it helps the Metropolitan Airports Commission, the airport authority that owns and operates the airport, better understand and plan for future facility needs.
- Plan for future facilities that will meet projected passenger activity levels in a manner that maintains and enhances customer service, while facilitating a seamless, "one-journey" experience.
- Produce a development plan that positions the MAC to meet future demand levels, enhances financial strength, leverages environmental stewardship, and infuses sustainable thinking.
- Conduct the planning process in a manner that includes meaningful stakeholder engagement processes.
The process includes these steps:
- Inventory and document existing facilities and aviation activity levels to establish baseline conditions
- Forecast MSP aviation activity levels (passengers, cargo, and aircraft operations) for the milestone years of 2020, 2025, 2030, 2035, and 2040
- Determine the gap between the baseline condition and future conditions based on forecasted activity levels (“gap analysis")
- Develop and evaluate alternative means to remedy facility deficiencies identified through the process
- Determine a proposed development program, funding plan, and implementation strategy to present to the community and the MAC board
- Prepare an overview of environmental factors that should be taken into consideration when implementing the plan
A robust community and stakeholder engagement program – including the creation of a stakeholder advisory panel - will accompany various phases of the planning process, providing ample opportunities for public information, input, and discussion.